Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Little DIY Play Kitchen

After being so addicted with Pinterest, I have been wanting so much to do almost anything! Being a self-proclaimed master crafter since birth, it was my utmost dream to learn carpentry.  Yes - my hands are really my  busy bees and I want to learn how to make and create things!

I am so excited to show you my latest DIY project I've been dreaming to have my twins play with. Meet little kitchen!


Just an update (February 6, 2013): I was able to have it painted with a light pink touch.  Loving this and the twins are extremely delighted seeing it remodeled. So, here is the new Tiny Pink Kitchen!

The Tiny Kitchen gets a makeover!



The little kitchen I designed for my sweet 2 year old twin girls (before I had it repainted). So dainty!
For those of you who would like to know how to do it, read along so you can grab hold of the ideas. To start with, all I wanted was to look for an old side table that I can just upcycle but since I wanted my own design and the right height, I made the design all by myself and passed by a sash carpentry near our area and explained to them my design.  The total height was around 37" and the width was approximately 27" (sink and cooking area). I measured my girls height and just added around 4" high as to the height of the actual working table. I gave much allowance so they can still play with it even when they get taller.

I bought the basin, knobs (stove), and hooks (covered with plastic), and some washer so that the stove switches are loose enough to be turned around. The girls' really loved them!


So, after 3 days... I hauled on my truck a bare little kitchen I designed... I was so excited to finish it up that I furnished everything in half a day!
The bare kitchen without the painting, faucet, sink, etc. I sanded and prepared it to be varnished
I had some problems with the faucet, since the hole was smaller when I brought it home. I needed to make it bigger with plain sand paper. I don't even have a drill with me, so it took quite a long time to get the faucet in. Not to self: Buy everything to get the exact fitting.  Estimates don't always work.

The faucet was the main thing! This is a plastic (lavatory) kind of faucet (P134.00 at a nearby hardware store). It works and it looks pretty - I'm happy.
After I painted it, here are the tid bits of the little kitchen...
Those hooks are good enough. It was easy to place them in.  The utensils were bought from the department store. The cute Ice cube tongs, 2 ladles, flat ladle and the wooden ladles was around P120.00 all in all. I got a neat bargain for those! 
Being a Pinoy, the usual gas stove is something that looks like this. I bought this at P29.00/pc.  It is supposed to be a  tabletop cooler rack.  I secured them with screws in the middle.
The stove knobs are plastic cabinet knobs that I bought for P29.00 each at Ace Hardware.
I got this pretty floral kitchen towel that I bought on sale at Finds Department Store at P39.00/pc. The girls also made it into a table cloth which looks pretty sweet looking.
The french window inspired look of the inkjet printed  zen garden poster added a bit of realistic feel of a kitchen. I added the kitchen curtain which I sew and secured them with 2 small hooks and a string.
This cute kitchen timer adds a bit of homey touch to the play kitchen (P89.00 at Finds Department Store)
I just added their food, cooking toys to complete the entire play kitchen.

So, there they are! They went absolutely ballistic with excitement when they saw it. With so much excitement, they even woke me up at 2am that morning just to play with this little dainty kitchen. After this project, I zonked out to bed. Whew! I am just so happy they love them!

Perfect for twins!
Cooking the onion!
They learned to share...thank God!
The sink was a big hit!
Wiping the dishes
Just an update, me and my industrial designer (a bit OC) sister plans to update the painting of our kitchen. I will upload the photo once we're done.

Well, you can do your very own kitchen too! If wood would be a challenge, big cardboard boxes would be another option. So, do share your DIY play kitchen too!


4 comments:

  1. OMG! You are such a genius! I love your ideas and the kitchen is made with love. I get teary-eyed while looking at your work! You are one inspiring mom! :)

    I linked you up on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... thanks so much for such a great compliment.

      Delete
  2. Hi, nice kitchen! how much did it cost you to have that thing?

    ReplyDelete