Sunday, November 8, 2015

Untangling That Crazy Doll Hair

My twins have Barbie dolls since they were 1. But, they weren't that interested yet until now that they are almost turning 6 next month.

Since, these dolls haven't been played with properly for 5 years, their hair has been impossibly tangled and unruly. I don't know why, but these Barbie dolls now, have thinner hair and it gets easily tangled unlike the ones I had as a kid.

Anyway, here are what these dolls' hair looked like before they had their "reconditioning treatment"


I wasn't able to take a photo of 3 other dolls, Belle, a Barbie and Rapunzel which had a major case of tangled bedhead of 5 years! Felt like, a gum just got stuck on its scalp.

I did some Pinteresting, but all I found was using Downy. I don't know, but, since my kids will be the one doing this to their own dolls. I wouldn't want their hands play around with fabric softener. So, I did My real life naturally curly hair remedy for tangles and what I normally do to clean/wash my makeup brushes. So, here's the stuff I used.


Excuse the (doll) hair on the brush and comb, I wasn't able to remove it yet. 😄

I've tried using other conditioner, but this brand works perfectly fine. I've actually a Type C curly hair and these tools work perfect for my hair tangles. I was actually amazed at how easily the tangles glide off as I brush them than any other brand. You just need a pea sized amount of this per Barbie doll.

So, here's how it went...

1) Comb the doll's hair with the wide toothed comb. Focus on the tips and the back of the hair.
2) Wet the hair of the doll (do it, while the doll is upside down).
3)Add a pea sized amount of conditioner on the hair, making sure there's more on the ends of the strands.
4) Start combing with the wide toothed, then change it to the narrower comb. Making sure that tangles are combed thru. Try not to pull out too much. Do it by section if the dolls's hair is quite long (Likr a Rapunzel doll).
5) Once all the tangles are gone and the comb glides thru, rinse the hair well. Do not take too long as you don't want to leave too much residue inside the head of the doll.
6) Dry with a towel.
7) comb the hair again and dry with a blower (no heat). As you dry, you can give the doll a couple of "headbang" to remove water.
8) Once dry, comb thru with a thin toothed comb and add a tiny bit of oil on the tips of the hair.

***Just remember, the secret is to comb with a wide toothed comb before and during washing. Follow with a thin toothed comb while the hair still has conditioner then, again, after drying the hair up.***

Now, be amazed and watch the difference. My kids went crazy when they saw their dolls. :)


See the difference:

Tada! Share if you were able to do it too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment